KONDA: Everyone should try meditation

Column: Pitch in

Contrary to popular belief, meditation does not silence your thoughts — it helps you organize them. – Photo by Katerina May / Unsplash

I first learned how to meditate in my junior year of high school, sitting in a socially distanced classroom with my English teacher, who took the time each Monday to go through a meditation session. It might have taken me at least three months to actually participate in the process, closing my eyes and breathing in, but once I began, I never really stopped.

The common misconception about meditation, which makes it difficult and unattainable for anyone, is that in order to achieve the ultimatum, you must completely clear your mind of all thoughts. I laugh every single time I hear that because there is not a single moment I have a thoughtless mind.

Think realistically: There is no way for the average person to simply put aside all their thoughts, feelings and beliefs to indulge in a meditative technique. Your mind constantly runs with chatter, and for most people, having a random thought while trying to meditate is extremely common. And, it does not mean you have failed.

I like to think of my meditative goal as an organization of my thoughts and a way of reducing anxiety. I cannot stop thinking, and most people would relate to me in this way. Even in the most overwhelming of situations, where you are bombarded with a mental dilemma, no one person can forget about it.

The goal is not forgetting your priorities or pushing them aside — it is simply giving your mind a short break.

Meditation can add to mental clarity as well, in academic or professional settings. It should not make you too relaxed but rather improve your current state of mind and proceed forward with your obligations.

Say you have three competing priorities at once, and they are all occurring in a similar time frame. Take 5 to 10 minutes to practice controlled breathing and organize your thoughts. This can help you move forward with a clearer mind.

It might reduce your chances of making hasty decisions or avoiding certain obligations when stressed, providing a pathway to an overall stronger mentality in high-pressure situations. It is not about blissful ignorance — it is about living with self-awareness and intention to deal with our lives.

By observing our stressors and facing them, we are indulging in mindfulness to navigate a world that seems to be challenging at times.

In a 2015 study on meditation and decision-making, results suggested that those who practiced mindfulness had better judgment and made less impulsive decisions. As meditation is a self-reflective practice, it encourages people to think clearly about their future actions.

So, meditation can actually improve your thinking and processing. It seems ironic, right?

In this world of constant distractions, it is an important consideration. Quieting the noise in your mind might be one of the most beneficial things you can do for yourself, even if it proves to be difficult at first.

Let us compare mindfulness to empathy. For some people, seeing their friends in an emotionally distressed state can be awkward or strange, and they have trouble approaching consolation.

I, for one, still freeze up when a friend of mine cries, and I am working on it. Empathy does not come easy sometimes, and the only improvement method is being willing to learn how to support others emotionally.

It is the same with meditation and mindfulness. You might find it awkward or weird to focus on yourself in such a way (I promise, it is not selfish), and you would be surprised how mental organization can also improve your relationships with others. Maybe you might be a better friend, significant other or family member by understanding yourself first.

No one can force you to meditate. It is up to you and yourself only. Even my words in this article might not influence you, but that is OK. If you want that personal improvement, you have to try it on your own.

So, the next time you need a mental break, consider closing your eyes for 5 minutes and focusing on breathing in and out. Count your breaths with your fingers as you lay down before bed or right before an exam as you stare at your professor.

There is no particular place, position or technique, just the positive mindset of feeling a little bit better than before. This way, you might be more inclined to make it a habit.

Vaishnavi Konda is a sophomore at Rutgers Business School majoring in business analytics and information technology and minoring in linguistics. Her column, "Pitch In," runs on alternate Sundays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day's publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.