SAWANT: Dog ownership will better your life

Column: Sincerely Rue

Owning and training a dog can aid in strengthening your personal discipline and reducing stress. – Photo by Pauline Loroy / Unsplash

My dog Theo is only nine months old and still figuring out the world. At the same time, he is teaching me how to do the same.

As I am entering my twenties — about to graduate from college and begin my career, figuring out my relationships and my place in this world — he is my twin flame and my best friend, going through all of it with me. We are experiencing life together.

Raising a puppy is not a perfect process. Not every day is the same. Sometimes Theo listens to his training, and it is a good day. Other days, he is committed to pushing the boundaries, and we have a hard day.

In puppy-raising, there is a lot of trial and error, but simple consistency is one thing that never fails me. Regardless of whether it turns out to be a good or bad day, I always feed Theo at his normal times, play with him throughout the day, take him on his walks, train him and socialize him every day.

In doing so, I realized that I could do everything right and still not have a perfect day because many things are simply out of my control. That is perfectly fine because he is still learning, growing and happy despite this — and that is the only thing that matters to me at the end of the day.

Looking to Theo is all the confirmation I need that the bad days do not make life itself bad.

He relies on me for that consistency and, in giving him that, this discipline has transferred over into my own life and done wonders to keep my head on my shoulders this last year of university. I used to hate the fact that I could not control every aspect of my life, and I would send myself into a spiral trying to control as much as I could.

The idea that aspects of my own life could be out of my hands used to stress me out, but now, it slightly comforts me. I know that all I have to do is my best because that is all I can do. If simply my best is what Theo needs from me, then simply my best should be enough for me too.

Theo has also forced me to redirect my time and energy to the present. It is difficult for me to step away from my work and let myself breathe, but Theo does not understand any of that. He just knows that he needs his walks and his food and water. He also needs his playtimes, his belly rubs and his cuddles.

He forces me to step away from my work and make time for him. When I am with him, it takes no effort to be present and give him all of my attention. It just happens.

He takes my mind off of anything that is bothering me and reminds me that there are more important things in life than work and school: lying on the couch and reading, taking walks outside or spending time with the people we love. It is comforting to let myself enjoy these little slices of life — to take these moments and savor them — and live life from moment to moment instead of task to task.

Because Theo requires a lot of social interaction at this stage in his life, he has also made it easier for me to meet new people.

As an introvert, I am not known for going up to people and easily striking up conversations. With Theo by my side, fellow dog owners or even random strangers enamored by his little face have been coming up to us in public.

In an earlier article of mine, I talked about the dying prevalence of "third places." A third place is "a physical location other than work or home where there's little to no financial barrier to entry and where conversation is the primary activity." Think of cafes, pubs, recreation centers, libraries and similar areas.

I have realized that dogs create third places wherever they go. Even a little hike on a trail in the Sourland Mountain Preserve had people stopping to converse with us, ask about Theo and even about myself. Even if I never see them again, I met someone new, and our paths crossed in a meaningful way.

My dog has gotten through to me in ways no one else has. It is one thing to tell yourself to take a break, and it is another thing when your dog sticks his face between you and your laptop, begging for attention until you put it away.

He has changed my life forever.

Rujuta Sawant is a Rutgers Business School senior majoring in business analytics and information technology and minoring in political science. Her column, "Sincerely Rue," runs on alternate Sundays.

*Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day's publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.