WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 28, 2017

JOINING THE WINNER CIRCLE

This year seems to be a good one for Rutgers students in terms of awards, and School of Arts and Sciences senior Chelsie Richie adds on to the list. Richie was among 36 young scholars who were selected to be a part of the 2017 class of Gates Cambridge Scholars at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. The scholarship honors an international network of students who have extraordinary academic achievements and are committed student leaders. We laurel Richie for her hard work and dedication, and for adding on to Rutgers' prestigious name.

REVERSE PAY-DAY?

"Focus on China" has been taken down from the CareerKnight platform because it was discovered to be a pay-to-work employer. Reddit's community dedicated to Rutgers found that the group lured students in by promising an internship abroad but then required them to pay for the position. We dart "Focus on China" for trying to exploit students who are vigorously looking for paid opportunities to work.

E-SPORT ALL-STARS

Three students who go by the "Scarlet Crusaders" won against hundreds of other teams at the Hearthstone National Championship, each winning $10,000. The three students, Matthew Koutsoutis, Julio Clemente and Michael Causing competed in the Tespa Competitive Series, which is an e-sports competition. Teams competed from campuses across the country playing the game Hearthstone which is a digital, collectible card game. We laurel the three students for winning a competition all while having fun.

FIGHTING FOR FACTS

Rutgers joined with the March for Science satellite that occurred in Trenton, N.J. The march was not just to raise awareness for the importance of science, but also to protest the current attitude towards the scientific world portrayed by the presidential administration. Climate change was also among the topics being protested at the march. We dart the fact that there needs to be a march at all, and that people are not taking science as seriously as they should.

ABSA IS FOR ALL

Ahlul-Bayt Student Association (ABSA) is a Muslim organization that represents the views of the population of Shia students at the University. However, the group places a big emphasis on topics that are universally relevant so that they can ensure that people of all backgrounds are always welcome. Subjects including the Black Lives Matter movement and the Syrian refugee crisis are among the ones that ABSA events have focused on. We laurel ABSA for not only representing a minority, but also for including everyone else in their conversation.

ANOTHER ALERT

If you noticed another email from "Crime Alert" in your ScarletMail inbox, it is because a stabbing incident occurred in New Brunswick last Sunday morning at 2:04. The unknown victim of the assault was left in the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The police are still investigating the incident. We dart this incident of assault for creating an even more dangerous atmosphere in New Brunswick.