EDITORIAL: Targum editors share their reflections about this semester

As we approach finals, it is pertinent to step back and account for the highs and lows of the semester

At the end of the semester, it is vital to reflect on everything we have experienced while also looking ahead to the future.  – Photo by @RutgersU / Twitter

As we enter finals and then break, one way to remain grounded is to reflect on everything we have experienced this past semester. In what was a busy term, The Daily Targum's editors step back and share what this semester meant to them.

Isabella Tyszka, editor-in-chief: "This semester marked the start of my senior year here at Rutgers. The thought of this being my second to last semester here is wild in and of itself. As much as I love to reminisce and romanticize, I feel like I’m ready to be done. It’s been a hectic and incredibly busy time.

"I thoroughly enjoyed having a challenging schedule because it reminded me of my limits, but it also showed me how I’m capable of much more than I had ever previously imagined. Furthermore, I couldn’t ever have foreseen how fulfilling and impactful my time at the Targum would be. I’m excited and sad and grateful and overall feeling all types of contradictory emotions all at once. All in all, it wouldn’t have it any other way."

Victoria Yeasky, managing editor: "I had a great semester! I was able to spend a lot of time with my friends and get really close to them which I'm thankful for. I also enjoyed my classes this semester and learned a lot. One more to go!"

Astha Lakhankar, head news editor: "As a junior, this semester definitely had its challenges, including balancing academics, extracurriculars and personal time. While this could be difficult at moments, I feel that I really came into my own, and I’m grateful for this period of time as it allowed me to continue a journey of personal and professional self-discovery."

Kithmy Wickramasinghe, associate news editor: "The beginning of junior year was definitely not a joke. Balancing classes with extra activities, a social life and personal time was a real challenge but definitely a great experience, and I leave fall semester with many good memories. Looking forward to relaxing over break!"

Claire Bruno, associate news editor: "Between balancing the responsibilities of my role at the Targum, classes and working, this semester has been my busiest one yet during my time at Rutgers. Even though it could get overwhelming at times, I feel like this semester showed me the extent of my capabilities and how proud I could make myself when I worked my hardest. Now that it's over, I am really looking forward to relaxing over winter break and enjoying my last few months at Rutgers next semester!"

Ricky Suta, opinions editor: "I think my second-to-last semester here at Rutgers was really good! It's crazy it's already over, and it's crazy next semester will be my last one, but I think I'm feeling ready for (and excited about) what is to come, both after the Targum and after Rutgers."

Dylan McCoy, head sports editor: "My last semester was filled with fun, memories and a lot of life lessons learned. I’m sad to leave this campus and all the fun that goes along with being in New Brunswick, but I’m excited to start the next chapter of my life and venture into the real world."

Jack Bisaha, associate sports editor: "This semester has been one of learning and progress. I have worked really hard between the Targum and my Rutgers Athletics internship, and I think I have learned a lot in the process. More importantly, I have enjoyed the semester with great friends on campus. I'm looking forward to doing it all again next semester."

Vy Nguyen, head copy editor: "My second-to-last semester at Rutgers was really chaotic and really stressful but also pretty worthwhile. I’m really thankful to have had the opportunity to dedicate more time to the things and people I love, and I’m walking away from it with more clarity about what life may look like for me post-graduation (and post-Targum)."

Henry Wang, photography editor: "The main takeaway for me this semester is that things don't always have to make sense. As long as you're challenging yourself to learn, you'll find opportunity."

Chris Kim, head video editor: "This is my last year here at Rutgers, so looking back is slightly bittersweet. I do think that I missed out on a lot of college experiences because I was online for two years, but I really tried to make the most of it this year, and I've honestly had a lot of fun. That being said, I'm really excited to see what comes next."

Jonny Berkowitz, associate video editor: "Honestly I’m pretty sad to be leaving this year. My new friends, film friends and Targum family are definitely gonna be missed. I’m looking forward to making my senior thesis film next semester and look forward to whatever happens next."

Meredith MacLean, inside beat editor: "Being a senior and now completing my last fall semester feels surreal, but I’m so grateful for the experiences I’ve had this semester in my classes, in my personal life and, naturally, at the Targum. Next semester, I’m excited to continue my work at the Targum before leaving the paper in the capable hands of the next board, and even more excited to begin preparing to study abroad for an embedded spring. But for now, I’m just excited break is here!"

Rachel Chang, social media editor: "This semester has been bittersweet for me — I balanced two jobs all while juggling classes and assignments. To top it all off, this was my last semester at Rutgers University! I’m relieved to be done with finals but will miss being a college student overall."

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority of the 154th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.